Max Shacknai was a young talented player in the Scottsdale Soccer Blackhawks program who tragically lost his life in July 2011. Max is remembered by the Blackhawks through the Blackhawks Max Shacknai Invitational soccer tournament which provides a showcase for soccer excellence and the character and athletic development it represents.
The Scottsdale Soccer Foundation
The Financial Assistance arm of Scottsdale Soccer, the Scottsdale Soccer Foundation raises needed funds to provide the opportunity of youth soccer to those that would otherwise be unable to afford it.
- A portion of Blackhawks Max Shacknai Invitational proceeds goes directly to the Foundation.
- A portion of every ticket purchased for the Arizona Coyotes game on 3/5/2016 goes directly to the Foundation.
- We do not have Participation Medals for our Youth Academy teams (U7 - U10). 100% of the money we save goes to the Foundation for Financial Assistance - "Kids giving back to Kids!"
The hallmark of a positive experience, the Blackhawks Max Shacknai Invitational features unique Referee offerings not found at other tournaments.
- As of November 2016 we have 28 International Referees confirmed that will be officiating our U11 - U19 age groups.
- We have invited as many Region IV Referees to officiate our tournament as possible.
- We select Referees after performance evaluation from the 2016 ODP Championships.
- Even though it is not a State requirement, we have scheduled 3 Referees for our U9 & U10 Youth Academy games. We feel it is more professional for the players and not as overwhelming for our young and enthusiastic Referees.
- All Referees who would like to be considered for the Arizona State Cup and Arizona Presidents Cup must be evaluated at 1 of 4 tournaments. We are one of those tournaments.
- It is strongly recommended that all of our referees attend a presentation held by the head of our International Referees prior to the beginning of the tournament.
NEW Referee Academy
Scottsdale Soccer has always been committed to the development and training of referees and this year in conjunction with the Max Shacknai Invitational we will be offering select referees the opportunity to be coached and mentored over the weekend of the tournament. The academy has been designed so referees will work as a team rotating through assignments over the three (3) days of the tournament while being exclusively mentored by one of the following coaches:
- Pro Referee Allen Chapman
- National Coach Jose Corro
- Pro Referee Juan Guzman
- National Official US Soccer Brandon Marshall
- Pro Referee and FIFA Assistant Referee Corey Rockwell
This year Scottsdale Soccer is able to offer this academy at no cost to the referees selected participate and currently, over 50 have applied for the academy. Scottsdale Soccer is excited to the first club in the State of Arizona to offer this enhanced training for referees and to be one of the few events in the country to implement this type of program for referee development
The Blackhawks Max Shacknai Invitational strives to make us your "tournament of choice."
- Individual Player Medals for 1st and 2nd place, a Championship Team Trophy, and Championship Player Backpacks for all U11 - U19 Division Champions. Participation Pins for all players.
- We provide free food for participating Coaches and attending College Coaches throughout the tournament at our Hospitality Tents.
- Team Managers have a chance to win a tournament Gift Basket as a "thank you" for their help throughout the year.
- The reason we have so many volunteers on our fields is so that you can see that your experience is important to us. At Scottsdale Soccer, we take great pride in our players, our events and our Club. Don't be surprised if you are greeted with a smile and an offer to be of assistance. We hope that you have an exciting weekend of soccer and look forward to seeing you again next year!